What do you need to consider when looking for a coach to help you, your employees or your business?
Coaching is a popular concept in the business world and in house and external coaches are used extensively across many different industries. As a result one of the most common questions asked is what qualities should we look for in a coach. There is no simple answer to this question as much depends on the chemistry between the coach and the “coachee”.
Having said that there are a number of qualities that help a great coach stand apart from the rest, that are consistently mentioned when people discuss what are the the qualities of a good coach.
I think the following sums it up for me:
“A good coach will make his players see what they can be rather than what they are.”
Coaching is about having the ability to help people find solutions for themselves for the situations they face. In order to be successful with this, the qualities most often mentioned are;
- Listen effectively to both verbal and non verbal communication
- Help the individual identify specifically what it is they want to achieve
- Ask the questions which help them devise the plan to help them achieve the goal
- Ask the challenging questions which will help stretch the individuals comfort zone
- Display honesty and integrity. You need to be able tell your client what they need to hear rather than what they want to hear.
- Have a passion for what you do.
- Emotional intelligence – an understanding of the impact you can have on others, and how to adapt your style to best suit the individual you are working with.
Two other quotes which I think are relevant to successful coaching outcomes are:
“I’ve learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.”
Charles R Swindoll said;
“I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% of how I react to it. And so it is with you… we are in charge of our Attitudes.”
Everyone can benefit from coaching, it’s just a question of finding the coach that will provide the help and support that will best suit your specific needs.
What are the qualities you value?